Lower back pain forces Cabrera out
The team announced the move shortly after batting practice Friday.
Cabrera is tied for the major league lead with 20 homers and 68 RBIs. He was replaced at first by Don Kelly.
In other moves, the Tigers recalled left-hander Daniel Schlereth from Toledo on Friday to be available for the Mariners series.
He had a 1-2 record with a 2.83 ERA in 28 games for the Triple-A Mud Hens.
Schlereth, the 26th pick two years ago, made his major league debut last season and was 1-4 with a 5.89 ERA in 21 relief appearances. He is the son of former NFL offensive lineman Mark Schlereth.
Detroit acquired Schlereth from Arizona in December as part of the three-team trade that sent Curtis Granderson to the New York Yankees and Edwin Jackson to the Diamondbacks. The Tigers also added Austin Jackson, Max Scherzer, Friday night's starter, and Phil Coke in the deal.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Detroit Tigers Navy Quarter-Zip Check Swing Pullover Hoodie