Heyward may rehab in All-Star Game
Heyward, who said earlier this week he wouldn't try to play in the game, is on the 15-day disabled list with a deep bone bruise in his left thumb. He was to have the cast removed on Sunday, leaving the rookie and general manager Frank Wren to speak in hopeful terms about Heyward's chances to play in the July 13 game in Anaheim, Calif.
Heyward says if he is able to play, he could use the All-Star Game as a rehab game for the second half of the season.
Wren says Heyward has a chance to play only if he can take batting practice when the Braves play at the New York Mets on Friday through Sunday before the break.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Atlanta Braves Jason Heyward #22 Cool Base Road Grey On-Field Jersey