Padres' Latos hits DL
SAN DIEGO -- The Padres placed starter Mat Latos and setup man Mike Adams on the 15-day disabled list Friday, two key members of the stellar pitching staff that has carried surprising San Diego into first place in the NL West.
The move with Latos, who has a strained muscle on his left side, was retroactive to July 9. If all goes well, he would return to start July 24 at Pittsburgh. Latos said he got hurt attempting to hold back a sneeze last Friday in Colorado. He is 10-4 with a 2.45 ERA.
Adams, who is 2-1 with a 2.18 ERA, also has a strained left oblique. His move was retroactive to Monday.
Frieri made his major league debut with the Padres last season. He was 3-1 with 17 saves and a 1.43 ERA at Portland.
Durango appeared in six games earlier this year for the Padres, going 5 for 13 (.385) with two RBIs and three runs scored.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
- Pirates' Worley blanks Giants with 4-hitter
- Cabrera, Dickey help Jays trample Red Sox
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's San Diego Padres 9Forty Pinch Hitter Navy Adjustable Hat