Source: Maya signs with Nationals
Cuban pitcher Yuneski Maya signed with the Washington Nationals, a source told ESPNdeportes.com.
Maya, 28, is scheduled to visit Washington, D.C., next week for a physical exam to close the deal.
Terms of the agreement were not disclosed. The right-hander played for Team Cuba during both editions of the World Baseball Classic (2006 and 2009).
Maya left Cuba last September and made his residence in the Dominican Republic. The U.S. Department of the Treasury authorized him to sign with a Major League Baseball team over a month ago.
During six seasons in the Cuban National Series, Maya went 48-29 with a 2.51 ERA. His pitching arsenal includes a fastball, curveball, changeup and slider.
Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Giants rally from 3-run deficit to even Series
- Mo'ne Davis, Stow part of Game 4 festivities
- Stanton expects normal offseason after HBP
- Rays manager Maddon opts out, leaving team
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Washington Nationals 39thirty Tonal Ace Red Flex Hat