Branyan batting third for Mariners
Branyan was batting third and serving as the designated hitter for Tuesday night's game against the Chicago White Sox. He entered with a .260 average, 13 homers and 34 RBIs in 65 games for Seattle and Cleveland.
Branyan first felt tightness in his lower back before Seattle's 6-1 loss to the White Sox on July 19. He felt it again when he doubled in his first at-bat that night, then left after his second plate appearance.
While Branyan returned to the lineup, Seattle was without center fielder Franklin Gutierrez. Manager Don Wakamatsu said Gutierrez was away from the ballpark so he could deal with a family issue.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- Agent: Dodgers don't plan to trade Kemp
- Sources: M's add Hart; Morrison deal close
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Fanmats Seattle Mariners Team Carpet Tiles