Steve Smith of Indians suspended
NEW YORK -- Cleveland Indians third base coach Steve Smith has been suspended for two games and fined for his role in a benches-clearing melee at Boston's Fenway Park this week.
Bob Watson, baseball's vice president for discipline, cited Smith for "inappropriate and aggressive actions" during Tuesday's game, when Smith and Red Sox pitcher Josh Beckett were ejected. Trouble began after a pitch by Indians reliever Jensen Lewis sailed behind Adrian Beltre.
Beckett was fined along with teammates Mike Cameron, Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis -- the latter four, all on the disabled list, came onto the field. Lewis also was fined Thursday.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- FANMATS Boston Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions Backseat Utility Mat