Hong Kong withdraws from tournament
CARACAS, Venezuela -- Hong Kong pulled out of the women's baseball World Cup on Saturday, a day after one of its players was wounded by a stray bullet during a game.
Organizers also decided to move all remaining games to the central city of Maracay and away from the Fort Tiuna military base in Caracas where Cheuk Woon Yee was wounded on Friday, Venezuela Sports Minister Hector Rodriguez said in a news conference.
Rodriguez confirmed Hong Kong was going home, saying: "We're very sorry about their decision to pull out, but we respect it."
Cheuk was accompanied by teammates on Saturday as she left a hospital in the Fort Tiuna military base where she was treated for the wound to her left calf, Venezuela's information ministry said in a statement.
The bullet struck Cheuk as she was taking the field to play third base in the top of the fourth inning against the Netherlands on Friday, and was lodged in her calf, Venezuela's information ministry said. It said Cheuk was in good condition.
The incident occurred at a stadium inside the Fort Tiuna military base. It wasn't clear where the bullet was fired from. The authorities were investigating.
Gun violence is common in the hillside slums near the Fort Tiuna base and is a serious problem in many areas of Venezuela, which is among the most violent countries in Latin America.
All of Saturday's games were suspended while officials stepped up security and considered when to resume play.
Games had originally been scheduled in Maracay during the first round only, but Rodriguez said organizers decided to move games that had been planned in Caracas to Maracay "to reassure all of the participating teams."
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Report: Cuban slugger to D-backs for $68.5M
- Red Sox officially unveil Sandoval, Ramirez
- Source: Lester, Giants will meet next week
- Brewers' Braun: No pain in repaired thumb