Unsigned Barret Loux will be free agent
The Diamondbacks selected the right-hander from Texas A&M with the sixth-overall pick in June's amateur draft, but he did not sign due to health concerns by the club.
Typically, draft picks who don't sign must re-enter a subsequent draft and the team receives a compensatory pick. The agreement allows Loux to sign with any team and gives Arizona the seventh pick in next year's draft as compensation.
The Diamondbacks said the agreement will hopefully provide an opportunity for baseball and its players association to address issues involving a drafted player's health.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Dodgers OF Crawford to skip Australia series
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Arizona Diamondbacks Logo V-Neck Black T-Shirt