Padres place Tony Gwynn on DL
Gwynn suffered the injury while fouling off a pitch in Wednesday's game against the Chicago Cubs. The Padres thought he had a sprained wrist, but an examination by a Chicago doctor revealed the break.
Padres manager Bud Black said Gwynn flew back to San Diego on Thursday for evaluation.
Black doesn't know how long Gwynn will be out. Black said Gwynn has made some great game-saving plays with his arm. He's posted a .212 batting average.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kershaw: No problems after simulated game
- Early brawl mars Brewers' win in 14 innings
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- Red Sox notch walk-off victory on O's error
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's San Diego Padres Victory Navy Tri-Blend T-Shirt