Matt Stairs hits record 21st PH HR
MILWAUKEE -- Matt Stairs has hit his 21st homer as a pinch-hitter, the most in big league history.
Padres manager Bud Black said the record is very special. He called the pinch-hitter role one of the most difficult in baseball.
Stairs has 262 home runs in a career that began with the Montreal Expos in 1992. His most famous homer as a pinch-hitter came with two outs in the eighth inning of Game 4 of the 2008 National League championship series. His two-run drive lifted the Phillies to a 7-5 victory over the Dodgers.
Johnson played from 1972-1986.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
- Ortiz (2 HRs) passes Yastrzemski in Sox rout
- Verlander moves to 3rd in Tigers K's in win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic San Diego Padres Navy Cool Base Batting Practice Jersey