Ambiorix Burgos faces charges
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Police have charged former major league pitcher Ambiorix Burgos with kidnapping and attempted murder after his ex-wife said she was forced to eat rat poison.
Judge Freddy Frias ordered Burgos on Saturday to remain in jail for three months while prosecutors prepare the case.
The 26-year-old is suspected of kidnapping Dilenia Reynoso on Thursday from a prosecutor's home where she was hiding after allegedly receiving death threats from him.
In 2008, authorities dropped charges against Burgos, who was accused in a fatal hit-and-run involving two women.
Last year, a New York jury found Burgos guilty of assaulting his girlfriend in a hotel near Shea Stadium. He was sentenced to nine months in jail.
Burgos pitched for the Kansas City Royals from 2005-06 and the New York Mets in 2007. He was released by the Mets in December 2008.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's New York Mets Royal Dri-FIT Logo Legend Authentic Performance T-Shirt