Rob Dibble no longer working for Nats
WASHINGTON -- The Washington Nationals say Rob Dibble will no longer work as a TV analyst for the team's games, a split that comes after the former reliever made comments critical of rookie pitcher Stephen Strasburg.
Dibble lashed out at Strasburg last week for not pitching through pain. Dibble said on Sirius XM Radio that "you can't have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little stiff shoulder, sore elbow."
Strasburg has since been diagnosed with a torn elbow ligament and will have surgery Friday. He will be sidelined 12 to 18 months.
Two days after making those comments, Dibble was absent from the broadcast booth on MASN, the network that televises the games. At the time, MASN said Dibble had requested "a few days off."
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- 5th & Ocean Women's Washington Nationals Red Tank Top