Jim Thome receives treatment on back
"He's going to use the facilities at Target [Field]," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said before Tuesday's game against the Kansas City Royals. "We won't see him until Thursday."
Thome has not played since Sept. 22 because of the bad back but is expected to be ready for the AL playoffs next week. He leads the Twins with 25 home runs and a .631 slugging percentage.
Also, shortstop J.J. Hardy returned Monday to Minnesota to have his sore left knee examined. He has not played since leaving Saturday's game at Detroit with the injury.
"J.J. has been checked out and he's fine," Gardenhire said. "His knee has gotten better. There's still some swelling, but it's better."
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mag: Puig subjected to threats, civil lawsuit
- Dodgers' Ramirez leaves with hand injury
- Angels put OF Calhoun on DL, call up Boesch
- Teixeira to play in minors, could return Sunday
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs Minnesota Twins '1 Twins Way' Street Sign