The shortstop has agreed to an $11.25 million, two-year contract, a person familiar with the contract told The Associated Press Sunday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal hadn't been announced.
ESPNdeportes.com first reported Peralta and the Tigers were close to an agreement Saturday.
Detroit declined Peralta's $7.25 million option Tuesday, opting to pay a $250,000 buyout, but Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said then that the team was optimistic about reaching a new agreement. Dombrowski did not immediately respond to an e-mail Sunday night seeking comment on the deal.
Acquired from Cleveland in July, Peralta was shifted from third base to shortstop by Detroit and hit .253 with eight home runs in 57 games with the Tigers.
Peralta's return means the Tigers will bring back the left side of their infield intact. Inge, the third baseman, signed a two-year deal last month.
It's less clear what will happen to Ordonez. The Tigers weren't interested in picking up his $15 million option, making him a free agent. Outfielder Johnny Damon, right-hander Jeremy Bonderman and catcher Gerald Laird are other Detroit free agents, and they are unlikely to return.
Dombrowski said after the season he was hoping to add another big bat to the middle of the lineup with Miguel Cabrera, who hit 38 home runs last season for the Tigers.
Peralta can provide good power for a middle infielder. He hit 15 home runs in 148 games last season for the Indians and Tigers and has surpassed 20 homers three times in his career.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.