A's to negotiate with Hisashi Iwakuma
The Oakland Athletics have won the right to negotiate with Japanese pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma, Major League Baseball announced Monday.
The Athletics submitted the highest bid and now have 30 days to sign sign Iwakuma, a 29-year-old right-hander from the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles of Japan's Pacific League, to a major- or minor-league contract.
"The Oakland A's are excited to have had our bid for Hisashi Iwakuma accepted by the Rakuten Golden Eagles," the team said on its website. "Out of respect for the posting process and for Mr. Iwakuma and his representative, we will not have any comment until the 30 day negotiation period comes to an end."
Iwakuma posted a 2.82 ERA in 201 innings for the Golden Eagles last season.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Robinson debut
- Trout ties it in 9th, but A's trump Angels in 11
- Napoli exits with hurt finger after headfirst slide
- Rays P Moore needs season-ending surgery
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Oakland Athletics Sparkle Green Adjustable Hat