Home run ball draws $264,500 at auction
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The ball Babe Ruth hit for his 702nd career home run fetched $264,500 during an auction Saturday at the Louisville Slugger Museum.
Ruth hit the home run in 1934 and later signed the ball. It had been passed down by three generations of a Minnesota family before going to the auction block.
The anonymous winning bid was more than three times the estimated sale price by Hunt Auctions.
A Cy Young autographed bat from the 1903 World Series sold for $138,000, while a Marilyn Monroe autographed photo signed to former husband Joe DiMaggio sold for $63,250. The picture was from the Yankee star's personal estate and considered to be among his most coveted possessions.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth New York Yankees Navy Popover Performance Hoodie