Catcher John Buck signs contract
Now he can't wait to catch for them.
"They're power pitchers who can locate. That's nothing but excitement for a catcher," he said Thursday after he was introduced as the Marlins' new catcher. "It gives you a lot of weapons to deal with. Above everything else, they're extreme competitors."
Buck, 30, signed a three-year contract worth $18 million. The Marlins wasted little time going after him: They made contact with his representatives at 12:01 a.m. Nov. 7, when free agency opened.
Buck is coming off a career year with the Toronto Blue Jays in 2010, batting .281 with 20 home runs, 66 RBIs and a .802 slugging percentage.
His signing was the latest move in what has been a busy offseason for the Marlins. In the span of a week, the team has acquired four relievers, an infielder and a new catcher.
"It was no secret as we entered the offseason that one of the biggest things we wanted was to upgrade the catching position. Immediately in seeing the available free agents, John's name jumped off the page at us," said general manager Mike Hill.
The team's biggest move was trading second baseman Dan Uggla to the Atlanta Braves after a contract impasse. Uggla, who's entering his last year of arbitration, turned down a four-year, $48 million offer.
"It would have been extremely challenging to sign Buck otherwise," said baseball operations president Larry Beinfest.
"Everybody gets excited about home run hitters. The home runs didn't win enough games for us," said owner Jeffrey Loria. "It has a 'wow' effect but let me remind you that we have Mike Stanton for a full year. He can hit a few home runs. And the guy behind the plate is going to do something, too."
The Marlins will count on Buck mainly for his defensive and game-calling skills. It's all part of a philosophical shift that will emphasize pitching and defense.
The Marlins finished 80-82 in 2010 and want to open their new ballpark in downtown Miami in 2012 with a championship team.
"We need to make some changes. We're not fooling around, either," Loria said. "We lost 27 games last year after the seventh inning. Cut down 10 of those games and you're in the playoffs. We certainly have a lot of strength in our lineup even without Uggla."
Paulino missed the rest of the year because of a 50-game suspension for testing positive for a controlled substance. Buck's signing suggests the Marlins won't tender Paulino.
"We can go play today right now. We have four new pieces in our bullpen. We have our starting catcher. We have really good position players," Beinfest said. "It's not Thanksgiving yet, and that's a pretty comfortable position to be in."
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tanaka may not be available to MLB suitors
- Brewers deal Aoki to Royals; Braun to RF?
- Source: Mujica, Red Sox agree to 2-year deal
- Report: 3 conspired to kidnap Rangers' Martin