Source: George Sherrill to join Braves
Reliever George Sherrill agreed to a one-year, $1.2 million deal with the Atlanta Braves, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Wednesday. The deal is pending a physical, which will take place within the next 48 hours.
The contract also includes $200,000 in incentives.
Sherrill, 33, is coming off the worst year of his seven-year career. He had a 6.69 ERA in 36.1 innings over 65 games with the Los Angeles Dodgers last season. He has a career ERA of 3.76.
Sherrill could battle for the Braves' closer role that opened when Billy Wagner retired after last season.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kershaw: No problems after simulated game
- Early brawl mars Brewers' win in 14 innings
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- Red Sox notch walk-off victory on O's error
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Atlanta Braves Dan Uggla #26 Alternate Ivory Jersey