Sources: Jason Bartlett trade has stalled
The Rays' trade for a pair of young pitchers is in limbo, but it's not dead, sources said.
Bartlett, 31, hit .254 with a .675 OPS in 135 games for the Rays last season. He became expendable with the arrival of top shortstop prospect Reid Brignac in Tampa Bay.
The Rays, who lost closer Rafael Soriano, top setup man Joaquin Benoit and several other relievers to free agency this offseason, had been dangling Bartlett in the quest to rebuild their bullpen with young, affordable arms.
ESPN.com baseball writers Jayson Stark and Jerry Crasnick contributed to this report.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
- Ortiz (2 HRs) passes Yastrzemski in Sox rout
- Verlander moves to 3rd in Tigers K's in win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Sparo Women's San Diego Padres Charm Watch