Joel Zumaya, Tigers agree to 1-year deal
Zumaya was limited to 31 games last year, when he fractured his elbow in late June. He went 2-1 with a 2.58 ERA.
In five seasons with the Tigers, the hard-throwing right-hander is 13-12 with a 3.05 ERA. He's struck out 210 hitters in 209 2/3 innings.
Zumaya pitched in 62 games in 2006. Since then, he hasn't made more than 31 appearances in a season because of shoulder and finger problems -- and last year's gruesome injury that caused him to collapse to the mound in pain.
Right-hander Armando Galarraga is Detroit's last player remaining eligible for arbitration.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- M's GM in defense: 'We've never deviated'
- Maddon: Rays must be ready for Price trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Detroit Tigers #14 Austin Jackson Road Grey Replica Jersey