Stephen Strasburg begins throwing
The right-hander, operated on Sept. 3, began a "soft toss" program in San Diego with a physical therapist, the Nationals said Thursday. He will start a more formalized throwing program when he arrives at spring training in Viera, Fla.
Recuperation time from the surgery is usually 12 to 18 months.
Strasburg went 5-3 with a 2.91 ERA and 92 strikeouts as a rookie in 12 starts last year, striking out 14 in his major league debut.
The top pick in the 2009 amateur draft, Strasburg signed for a draft-record $15.1 million.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's Washington Nationals Stephen Strasburg Navy T-Shirt