Indians activate reliever Joe Smith
Smith has been sidelined with an abdominal strain suffered during spring training. The club announced the move Friday before opening a three-game series against the Baltimore Orioles.
On Thursday, the Indians optioned reliever Frank Herrmann to Triple-A Columbus to make room for the side-arming Smith, who had a 3.60 ERA in five appearances during the exhibition season.
Smith went 2-2 with a 3.83 ERA in 53 games last season for the Indians. This is the 27-year-old's third season with Cleveland after coming over in a 2008 trade from the New York Mets.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Cleveland Indians Cool Base Alternate Navy On-Field Jersey