Joel Zumaya to 60-day DL
The Tigers made the move on Monday. Zumaya has been on the disabled list since March 30, but it was elbow pain suffered after throwing in just one spring training game that first concerned the Tigers.
Zumaya was 2-1 with a 2.58 ERA in 31 games for the Tigers last season before needing surgery to repair a broken right elbow that ended his June 29. Zumaya collapsed to the mound in pain after throwing a pitch, fearful his career was over. It turned out there was no ligament damage to his elbow, but it was fractured and he was done for the year.
He has been on the disabled list every season since 2007.
The Tigers and Zumaya agreed to a $1.4 million, one-year contract in the offseason avoiding arbitration.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal Detroit Tigers Giant 8' x 2' Banner