Giants' Mark DeRosa placed on DL
DeRosa was in Cleveland on Wednesday to be examined by Dr. Thomas Graham, a hand specialist who performed surgery on the wrist in July. Graham found inflammation in the cartilage surrounding the wrist, but DeRosa won't need surgery.
"I'm relieved I won't need more surgery, but I'm kind of tired of every day being a flip of the coin," DeRosa said. "One day it will feel good; the next day it won't. I'm looking for a little more consistency."
DeRosa is 6-for-18 (.333) in 11 games. He played in only 26 games last season after signing a two-year, $12 million contract with San Francisco.
Burriss was hitting .344 with three RBIs and 15 stolen bases in 16 games with Triple-A Fresno. A former first-round pick, Burriss has appeared in 163 games over three seasons with the Giants. He batted .264 with a home run, 31 RBIs and 24 steals.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Phils' Rollins: No idea why I'm benched
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
- Mets pitching coach apologizes for Asian slur
- Brewers' Garza confident despite 19.06 ERA
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica San Francisco Giants Home Ivory Buster Posey #28 Jersey