Joel Zumaya to miss rest of season
Team trainer Kevin Rand said before Wednesday's game against the New York Yankees that Dr. James Andrews is scheduled to operate on Zumaya in Florida. The Tigers won't have a more definite timeline for Zumaya's recovery until after the surgery.
Widely considered one of the hardest throwers in baseball, Zumaya hasn't pitched since breaking a bone near his elbow on June 28, 2010. The right-hander has tried to work through the latest problem without surgery but realized the lack of progress made surgery his best option.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
- Hamels: Arm 'really good' after pen session
- O's Wieters out several days with ankle sprain
- Braun signs first post-ban endorsement deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Detroit Tigers White/Navy Raglan T-Shirt