Braves' Heyward exits early, to get MRI
Heyward says his right shoulder has been bothering him since spring training, but the pain got worse in the past week or so. Then, after his final at-bat in a 7-6 loss to the Nationals, his right hand went numb and he couldn't shake it off.
He was already scheduled to get an MRI on Thursday, and manager Fredi Gonzalez says he'll probably hold Heyward out on Wednesday against lefty John Lannan.
Eric Hinske took over in right and had a run-scoring double. Heyward is hitting only .220 with seven homers and 14 RBIs. He's gone hitless in his past 10 at-bats.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Atlanta Braves Jason Heyward #22 Cool Base Alternate Ivory On-Field Jersey