Buster Posey speaks out against threats
SAN FRANCISCO -- Buster Posey doesn't support any of the threats made toward Scott Cousins, the Florida Marlins player who ended the San Francisco Giants catcher's season in a collision at home plate May 25.
"I appreciate the continued support of Giants fans and others as I begin the process of working my way back," Posey said in a statement Saturday. "But in no way do I condone threats of any kind against Scott Cousins or his family.
"As I said last week, I'm not out to vilify Scott. I appreciate that he made the effort to reach out to me on the night of the play, but I was in no physical condition to talk to anyone," The statement said. "I have not been back with the team since that night so I haven't even been aware of any other messages he's left for me. We all need to move on, so it isn't necessary to have a conversation with him at this point."
The collision at home plate left Posey with a broken bone in his lower left leg and three torn ligaments in his ankle. He's had surgery and is done for the season.
"My only focus right now is looking forward, getting healthy and returning to catching for the Giants," Posey said.
The collision has sparked a debate about the safety of catchers and perhaps modifying rules to protect them in plays at the plate. At the center of that debate has been Giants general manager Brian Sabean.
Posey's statement comes after Sabean criticized Cousins on his weekly radio show on KNBR this week, calling the play malicious and unnecessary.
Those comments got the attention of Major League Baseball, and executive vice president of baseball operations Joe Torre spoke with Sabean on Friday. The Giants also issued a statement saying Sabean's comments were made out of frustration, and the GM was trying to reach Cousins.
Cousins also issued a statement Friday and apologized again for the collision.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press