Matt Joyce out with sore shoulder
Joyce began the day with a .336 batting average, second best in the American League. He said he was available to pinch-hit and thought he'd be ready to play on Saturday.
Manager Joe Maddon said the team recommended Joyce get the shot on Thursday in Los Angeles, an off-day for the Rays.
Joyce came to the ballpark complaining of soreness and was removed from the lineup. He said he'd been feeling sore for past 10 days. Justin Ruggiano replaced Joyce in right field.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Headley wins it in 14th of debut with Yanks
- Schoop's 2-run HR helps O's beat Angels
- Rockies place Tulowitzki (hip strain) on DL
- Jeter becomes Yanks' all-time doubles leader
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth Tampa Bay Rays Navy Color Sheen Wristlet