A's put Josh Willingham on DL
NEW YORK -- The Oakland Athletics have put outfielder Josh Willingham on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained left Achilles and promoted first baseman-outfielder Chris Carter from the minors.
The A's made the moves before Thursday's game against the New York Mets. Willingham, who leads the Athletics with 10 home runs and 42 RBIs, was put on the DL retroactive to June 18.
Carter was hitting .235 with five homers and 21 RBIs at Triple-A Sacramento. He made his major league debut last year and started out 0 for 33 before hitting three home runs.
Carter was not in the starting lineup for the series finale against the Mets. He arrived in New York at about 8:45 a.m. ET after an all-night trip.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Japan's Tanaka wants to move to MLB in 2014
- Roberts joining Yankees for post-Cano era
- Source: O's, closer Balfour agree to deal
- 2B Infante to help Royals take 'next step'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Oakland Athletics Authentic Cool Base Road Grey On-Field Jersey