Mariners start late due to conflict
The first pitch was set for 7:10 p.m. local time. No Sunday game in Seattle had started later than 5:05 p.m. since Safeco opened in 1999.
The late start was caused by the Seattle Sounders of Major League Soccer having a 1 p.m. match against New England, a game scheduled before the Marlins-Mariners series was shifted from Miami to Seattle.
Mariners vice president of communications Randy Adamack says an agreement between the city, the operators of CenturyLink Field and the Mariners requires approximately four hours between the expected completion of one game and the start of another at the two stadiums.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- O's Patton tests positive, banned 25 games
- Beltran joins Yankees: 'Means a lot to me'
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Report: Twins, catcher Suzuki agree to deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal Miami Marlins Applique Banner Flag