Highest Game 1 rating since '04
NEW YORK -- The Yankees are back in the World Series, and television ratings are back up.
The Philadelphia Phillies' 6-1 win in Game 1 on Wednesday earned an 11.9 fast national rating and 19 share. That's up 29 percent from the opener last year, when the Phillies-Rays series drew record-low ratings.
Fox said Thursday it's the second-best Game 1 rating this decade, trailing only Red Sox-Cardinals in 2004. It's also the best rating for a non-decisive World Series matchup since Game 3 that year.
Ratings represent the percentage of all households with televisions tuned into a program, and shares represent the percentage of all homes with TVs in use at the time.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
- Ortiz (2 HRs) passes Yastrzemski in Sox rout
- Verlander moves to 3rd in Tigers K's in win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
WORLD SERIES GAME 1: PHILLIES 6, YANKEES 1
Behind Cliff Lee's gem and Chase Utley's power, the Phillies went into the Bronx and beat the Yankees in Game 1. World Series page »
- Extended Sizes - Majestic Men's Replica New York Yankees Brian McCann #34 Home White Jersey