Phillies choose longer first-round series
WASHINGTON -- The Philadelphia Phillies have chosen to play their NL Division Series over an eight-day schedule, allowing them to go with a three-man starting rotation because of an extra off day.
Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels are Philadelphia's top starters. Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said Tuesday he knows which will start Game 1 at home on Oct. 6, but won't announce that decision yet. Game 2 will be Oct. 8.
The Phillies clinched the NL's best record by beating Washington 8-0 Monday. That allowed them to pick whether to have a seven- or eight-day schedule if the first-round series goes the full five games.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
- Hamels: Arm 'really good' after pen session
- O's Wieters out several days with ankle sprain
- Braun signs first post-ban endorsement deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's Philadelphia Phillies Cole Hamels #35 Red T-Shirt