Team doctor to remove loose cartilege
Mientkiewicz said Dr. Tom Varecka will perform the operation Tuesday in the Twin Cities. The injury got worse in the second half of the season, but Mientkiewicz played through the pain to avoid going on the disabled list during the Twins' push for the AL Central title.
Mientkiewicz played in 142 games, batting .300 with 11 homers and 65 RBIs. He won a Gold Glove in 2001.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Minnesota Twins 59Fifty Home Navy Authentic Hat