Team doctor to remove loose cartilege
Mientkiewicz said Dr. Tom Varecka will perform the operation Tuesday in the Twin Cities. The injury got worse in the second half of the season, but Mientkiewicz played through the pain to avoid going on the disabled list during the Twins' push for the AL Central title.
Mientkiewicz played in 142 games, batting .300 with 11 homers and 65 RBIs. He won a Gold Glove in 2001.
Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Jury finds Dodgers negligent in Stow beating
- Tanaka to DL, headed to Seattle for elbow exam
- Scherzer outduels Greinke as Tigers get win
- Reds P Simon becomes NL's first to 12 wins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Sparo Men's Minnesota Twins Turbo Watch