Saturday ceremony will feature video tribute
The tribute is scheduled for Saturday's NLCS game against the St. Louis Cardinals at Minute Maid Park in Houston.
It will feature a video tribute and a moment of silence. There also was a moment of silence before Wednesday's Game 1 in St. Louis.
The slugging Gold Glove third baseman was the 1996 National League MVP with the San Diego Padres. He played for the Astros twice over a 15-year career in which he struggled with substance abuse and legal troubles.
Caminiti failed four drug tests during his probation for a 2002 cocaine possession conviction. He served 189 days in jail and drug treatment programs before his release earlier this month.
A ruling is still pending on what killed the 41-year-old Caminiti, but his agent says he apparently died of a heart attack.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Headley wins it in 14th of debut with Yanks
- Schoop's 2-run HR helps O's beat Angels
- Rockies place Tulowitzki (hip strain) on DL
- Lincecum posts first save as Giants need 14
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Houston Astros Classic Keychain