Which Chicago hitter swings and misses at the most pitches outside of the strike zone? What is A.J. Pierzynski's "well-hit" average? Who takes the most pitches for strikes? Check out Inside Edge's hitting data on the White Sox.
• Chase % | Miss % | Take % | Well Hit avg.
• Full-roster reports:Astros | White Sox
Gary Gillette on Brandon Backe
"The right-hander is a basic four-pitch starter (four-seam fastball, curve, slider, change) with pretty much across-the-board average velocity and stuff."
• Gillette's reports:Astros | White Sox
• The White Sox's starting pitchers went seven innings in all four games. In the last 50 years, only three other teams got at least seven innings from their starters in each of the first four games of the World Series: 1963 Dodgers (Koufax, Podres, Drysdale, Koufax), 1992 Braves (Glavine, Smoltz, Avery, Glavine) and 2003 Yankees (Wells, Pettitte, Mussina, Clemens).
• Ozzie Guillen played 1,743 games for the White Sox. Only one man appeared in more games for a team and then managed that team to a World Series title: Red Schoendienst for the Cardinals (1,795 games, World Series title in 1967).
• The Astros are only the second team to be swept in their first World Series appearance. The Tigers were swept in their World Series debut in 1907, losing four straight games to the Cubs after playing to a tie in the Series opener.