Simulation: Sorry, Cubbies -- it's a Phillies-Dodgers NLCS
Updated: October 1, 2008, 11:12 PM ETBy Dayne Myers, Luke Kraemer | Special to ESPN.com
About the simulation
The simulations were done using the Diamond Mind Baseball software, which was developed by renowned baseball statistics expert Tom Tippett. Diamond Mind is widely regarded as the most sophisticated and realistic baseball simulation software.Diamond Mind is owned by Imagine Sports, a Silicon Valley-based Internet company that develops multiplayer online sports games, including Diamond Mind Online, an online baseball management game licensed and promoted by MLB Advanced Media. ESPN readers can try it by creating their own team with the Diamond Mind Online Free Trial.
- We updated our projections and ratings for each player based on his 2008 regular-season performance.
- Although playoff rosters were not yet finalized, we used our best judgment about who would be selected, the starting rotations, the batting orders, and the bullpen and bench roles.
- We made judgments about players who are carrying an injury into the postseason. Beyond deciding, for purposes of setting these roles, whether or not a player would play, we did not attempt to simulate how such an injury might hamper the player, except to the extent already reflected in his regular-season performance.
- We then simulated each series 1,000 times.
|Cubs in 3||Cubs in 4||Cubs in 5||Dodgers in 5||Dodgers in 4||Dodgers in 3||Overall|
|Phillies in 3||Phillies in 4||Phillies in 5||Brewers in 5||Brewers in 4||Brewers in 3||Overall|
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cabrera hits 3 HRs, but Tigers lose in Texas
- Moore improves to 8-0 as Rays sweep O's
- Phils' Ruiz, Howard to have MRI exams Monday
- Cardinals beat former teammate Lohse again