Rays leave Percival off ALDS roster
Percival had 28 saves this season, but just one came after Aug. 13. In addition to the back injury, the 39-year old right-hander missed 42 games during three stints on the disabled list with left hamstring and right knee injuries.
"I still have the concern about his health," Rays manager Joe Maddon said before Thursday's opener.
Dan Wheeler filled in for Percival and converted 13 of 18 save opportunities.
Rookie left-hander David Price, taken first overall in the 2007 amateur draft, made the Rays' playoff roster, which was finalized Thursday. He went 12-1 with a 2.30 ERA in 19 minor-league games at three levels this season before posting a 1.93 ERA in one start and four relief appearances with Tampa Bay.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Yankees' Nova leaves with injury, gets MRI
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Alvarez faces 1 over minimum, silences M's
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- 5th & Ocean Women's Tampa Bay Rays Navy/Grey V-Neck Raglan T-Shirt