8:10 PM ET, April 3, 2007
Busch Stadium, St. Louis, Missouri
• Summary: Orlando Hernandez pitched seven strong innings and drove in two runs as the Mets sent the defending champ Cardinals to an 0-2 record with a 4-1 win.
• Turning point: El Duque's two-out, two-run double in the sixth made the score 4-0.
• Hero: El Duque pitched like Cy Young and hit like the Bambino for one night anyway.
• Figure this: Hernandez doubled his career RBI output with his two-run double.
• Quotable: "I've seen him do this many times. He's just a Houdini sometimes." -- Mets manager Willie Randolph on El Duque
• Elias Says: The Cardinals are the first defending World Series winners in 64 years to start a season by losing their first two games and scoring a total of two or fewer runs in those games.
-- ESPN.com news services
Mets 4, Cardinals 1
The Mets are 6-2 against the Cardinals the last two seasons. ... Hernandez had success against the Cardinals in his last spring training start, allowing one unearned run and three hits on March 23 in Port St. Lucie, Fla. He threw a six-inning simulated game on March 28 in his final regular-season tuneup. ... LF Chris Duncan got a big ovation when he caught Moises Alou's liner with runners on first and second for the first out in the sixth, a reference to the muffed fly balls by Schumaker on Tuesday and So Taguchi in the opener, perhaps along with Duncan's own adventures in the outfield in his rookie season.
Regular Season Series
|New York leads 5-2 (as of Tue 4/3)|
|Sun 4/1||NYM 6, @STL 1||Recap|
|» Tue 4/3||NYM 4, @STL 1||Box Score|
|Wed 4/4||NYM 10, @STL 0||Recap|
|Mon 6/25||@NYM 2, STL 1||Recap|
|Tue 6/26||STL 5, @NYM 3||Recap|
|Wed 6/27||@NYM 2, STL 0||Recap|
|Thu 9/27||STL 3, @NYM 0||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Mets | Cardinals|
|1st||C Beltran hit sacrifice fly to center, J Reyes scored.||1||0|
|5th||P Lo Duca safe at second on error by right fielder S Schumaker, J Reyes scored.||2||0|
|6th||O Hernandez doubled to left, C Delgado and D Wright scored, J Valentin thrown out at home.||4||0|
|7th||S Rolen homered to left.||4||1|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Busch Stadium, St. Louis, MO|
|Attendance||45,440 (103.3% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||61 degrees, overcast|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Lance Barksdale, First Base - Jim Reynolds, Second Base - Adam Dowdy, Third Base - Gary Cederstrom|