2:10 PM ET, April 5, 2007
Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri
• Summary: Daisuke Matsuzaka lived up to the hype in his first official day of pitching in the major leagues. He threw 108 pitches in seven innings, allowing only one run and one walk.
• Turning point: Julio Lugo stole third in the fifth inning, after a throwing error by Royals catcher John Buck.
• Did you see that? Dice-K's first major league strikeout came on a 94-mph fastball past the bat of Ross Gload to end the second.• Figure this: Matsuzaka left the Seibu Lions to sign a $52 million, six-year contract with the Red Sox, who bid $51,111,111 for his rights.
• Fantasy: ESPN.com's Eric Karabell weighs in on Matsuzaka's debut and offers up some praise to the other starting pitcher, Zack Greinke.
• Elias Says: Matsuzaka was the first pitcher to reach double-digits in strikeouts in his major league debut since May 2002, when Aaron Harang and Mark Prior did it three days apart.
-- ESPN.com news services
Red Sox 4, Royals 1
Gordon, the Royals' top prospect, had been 0-for-8 until he singled leading off the fifth. He also let a grounder get under his glove at third for an error. ... The media contingent was the biggest the Royals saw at home since the seventh game of the 1985 World Series.
Regular Season Series
|1st||M Ramirez doubled to deep right, K Youkilis scored.||1||0|
|5th||J Lugo stole third, J Lugo scored on throwing error by catcher J Buck.||2||0|
|6th||D DeJesus homered to right.||2||1|
|8th||D Ortiz scored, J Drew to second on wild pitch by J Peralta.||3||1|
|8th||C Crisp singled to center, J Drew scored, M Lowell to second.||4||1|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City, MO|
|Attendance||23,170 (61.1% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||36 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Jeff Nelson, First Base - Jim Wolf, Second Base - Tim Tschida, Third Base - Jim Joyce|