7:05 PM ET, April 16, 2007
RFK Stadium, Washington, D.C.
• Summary: On a "40-40 night", which Nationals manager Manny Acta described as a 40-degree night with 40 mph winds, Washington sunk the Braves to win their third out of their last four games after a 1-8 start.
• Turning point: Dmitri Young, who had a 3-for-4 night, doubled in the third, scoring Ronnie Belliard and Ryan Zimmerman to give the Nats some breathing room.
• Figure this: Matt Chico earned first MLB win with five walks and no strikeouts. The last Nationals pitcher to win a start, walking at least five without a whiff was Jeff Juden on April 20, 1997 at the Phillies.
• Quotable: "I grew up watching the Braves... I always wanted to get my first win off them." -- Chico
• Elias Says: In the last 70 years, only two other starting pitchers picked up their first major league win despite walking at least five and striking out nobody.
-- ESPN.com news services
Nationals 5, Braves 1
The attendance was announced at 16,316, though the actual number might have been one-fourth of that. ... Atlanta LHP Steve Colyer made his first appearance in the majors since Oct. 1, 2004, when he pitched for Detroit against Tampa Bay. ... Washington OF Ryan Church went 0-for-2 with two walks, ending his career-high 11-game hitting streak. ... By scoring in the third, the Nationals have tallied in every inning except the first. They've been outscored 16-0 in the first inning this season.
Regular Season Series
|Atlanta leads 11-7 (as of Mon 4/16)|
|Tue 4/10||@ATL 8, WAS 0||Recap|
|Wed 4/11||@ATL 8, WAS 3||Recap|
|Thu 4/12||WAS 2, @ATL 0||Recap|
|» Mon 4/16||@WAS 5, ATL 1||Box Score|
|Tue 4/17||ATL 6, @WAS 4||Recap|
|Mon 5/14||@WAS 2, ATL 1||Recap|
|Tue 5/15||ATL 6, @WAS 2||Recap|
|Wed 5/16||@WAS 6, ATL 4||Recap|
|Thu 5/17||@WAS 4, ATL 3||Recap|
|Mon 6/25||@ATL 4, WAS 1||Recap|
|Tue 6/26||@ATL 6, WAS 2||Recap|
|Wed 6/27||@ATL 13, WAS 0||Recap|
|Fri 9/7||@ATL 7, WAS 1||Recap|
|Sat 9/8||@ATL 9, WAS 2||Recap|
|Sun 9/9||WAS 7, @ATL 4||Recap|
|Fri 9/14||ATL 8, @WAS 5||Recap|
|Sat 9/15||@WAS 7, ATL 4||Recap|
|Sun 9/16||ATL 3, @WAS 0||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Braves | Nationals|
|3rd||R Zimmerman singled to right, F Lopez scored, R Belliard to second.||0||1|
|3rd||D Young doubled to deep center, R Belliard and R Zimmerman scored.||0||3|
|6th||S Thorman grounded out to second, J Francoeur scored, B McCann to second.||1||3|
|8th||B Schneider walked, R Zimmerman scored, D Young to third, R Church to second.||1||4|
|8th||C Snelling grounded out to second, D Young scored, R Church to third, B Schneider to second.||1||5|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||RFK Stadium, Washington, D.C.|
|Attendance||16,316 (39.3% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||44 degrees, overcast|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Randy Marsh, First Base - Bob Davidson, Second Base - Sam Holbrook, Third Base - Hunter Wendelstedt|