8:05 PM ET, April 22, 2007
Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts
• Summary: The Red Sox hit four straight home runs in the third inning, the third by Mike Lowell who added a three-run shot to go ahead in the seventh as the Red Sox swept the Yankees.
• Turning point: The Sox turned a 3-0 deficit into a 4-3 lead in the third with home runs by Manny Ramirez, J.D. Drew, Lowell and Jason Varitek.
• Hero: Lowell supplied the power, but Jonathan Papelbon made it stand up by getting Alex Rodriguez to ground out with the tying run on base in the ninth.
• Unsung hero: With the Sox clinging to a 7-6 lead in the eighth and the tying run on third, second baseman Dustin Pedroia made a diving stab of a Josh Phelps liner to end the inning.
• Figure this: The Red Sox hadn't swept the Yankees at home since Aug. 31-Sept. 2, 1990.
• Elias Says: It was only the second time in the history of the rivalry that Boston swept a series of at least three games in which it trailed New York in each game.
-- ESPN.com news services
Red Sox 7, Yankees 6
The Red Sox celebrated Jackie Robinson Day a week late with a pregame ceremony. The 60th anniversary of Robinson's major league debut was observed at other stadiums on April 15, but Boston's home game that day against the Los Angeles Angels was rained out. Three members of the Red Sox -- DH David Ortiz, CF Coco Crisp and third base coach DeMarlo Hale -- wore Robinson's No. 42. ... It was Lowell's 12th multihomer game and first since May 20, 2004, for Florida. ... Jeter extended his hitting streak to 13 games. ... Bobby Abreu struck out three times against Matsuzaka.
Regular Season Series
|New York leads 10-8 (as of Sun 4/22)|
|Fri 4/20||@BOS 7, NYY 6||Recap|
|Sat 4/21||@BOS 7, NYY 5||Recap|
|» Sun 4/22||@BOS 7, NYY 6||Box Score|
|Fri 4/27||BOS 11, @NYY 4||Recap|
|Sat 4/28||@NYY 3, BOS 1||Recap|
|Sun 4/29||BOS 7, @NYY 4||Recap|
|Mon 5/21||@NYY 6, BOS 2||Recap|
|Tue 5/22||BOS 7, @NYY 3||Recap|
|Wed 5/23||@NYY 8, BOS 3||Recap|
|Fri 6/1||NYY 9, @BOS 5||Recap|
|Sat 6/2||@BOS 11, NYY 6||Recap|
|Sun 6/3||NYY 6, @BOS 5||Recap|
|Tue 8/28||@NYY 5, BOS 3||Recap|
|Wed 8/29||@NYY 4, BOS 3||Recap|
|Thu 8/30||@NYY 5, BOS 0||Recap|
|Fri 9/14||NYY 8, @BOS 7||Recap|
|Sat 9/15||@BOS 10, NYY 1||Recap|
|Sun 9/16||NYY 4, @BOS 3||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Yankees | Red Sox|
|1st||J Giambi doubled to deep center, B Abreu and A Rodriguez scored.||2||0|
|3rd||J Giambi singled to right, J Damon scored, D Jeter to third.||3||0|
|3rd||M Ramirez homered to left center.||3||1|
|3rd||J Drew homered to right center.||3||2|
|3rd||M Lowell homered to left.||3||3|
|3rd||J Varitek homered to left.||3||4|
|5th||D Jeter homered to left.||4||4|
|6th||M Cabrera grounded into double play, second to shortstop to first, R Cano scored, D Mientkiewicz out at second.||5||4|
|7th||M Lowell homered to left, M Ramirez and J Drew scored.||5||7|
|8th||M Cabrera grounded into fielder's choice to first, A Rodriguez scored, M Cairo out at second, R Cano to third.||6||7|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Fenway Park, Boston, MA|
|Attendance||36,905 (99.6% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||63 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Sam Holbrook, First Base - Hunter Wendelstedt, Second Base - Randy Marsh, Third Base - Bob Davidson|