7:10 PM ET, April 24, 2007
Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida
• Summary: The Devil Rays snapped A-Rod's hot streak and handed the Yankees their fifth straight loss on Tuesday night.
• Turning point: Carl Crawford hit his first career grand slam off Mike Myers in the seventh inning to put the Rays up 6-3.
• Figure this: The Yankees haven't lost five in a row since a six-game slump from May 28 to June 3, 2005.
• Did you see that? Rays pitcher Scott Kazmir hit Derek Jeter square in the left leg in the first inning. The shortstop was replaced by Miguel Cairo.
• Quotable: "We're 0-5 without being outplayed. We're going out there and we're doing OK. We're just not finishing out the other teams." -- Johnny Damon on the Yankees' road rut.
• Elias Says: The Yankees have been alone in last place this many games into a season only once previously in Joe Torre's reign (which began in 1996).
-- ESPN.com news services
Devil Rays 6, Yankees 4
Wang had been out since March 23, when he hurt his right hamstring while running. ... During their skid, the Yankees scored five or more runs in each of the first four games. The only other time in franchise history that they had least five runs in four consecutive losses with June 11-15, 1933. ... With Akinori Iwamura on the DL with a right oblique strain, Ty Wigginton moved from first to third base for Tampa Bay. Carlos Pena started at first.
Regular Season Series
|New York leads 10-8 (as of Tue 4/24)|
|Mon 4/2||@NYY 9, TB 5||Recap|
|Thu 4/5||TB 7, @NYY 6||Recap|
|Mon 4/23||@TB 10, NYY 8||Recap|
|» Tue 4/24||@TB 6, NYY 4||Box Score|
|Thu 7/12||NYY 7, @TB 3||Recap|
|Fri 7/13||@TB 6, NYY 4||Recap|
|Sat 7/14||NYY 6, @TB 4||Recap|
|Sun 7/15||NYY 7, @TB 6||Recap|
|Fri 7/20||TB 14, @NYY 4||Recap|
|Sat 7/21||@NYY 7, TB 3||Recap|
|Sat 7/21||@NYY 17, TB 5||Recap|
|Sun 7/22||@NYY 21, TB 4||Recap|
|Fri 8/31||TB 9, @NYY 1||Recap|
|Sat 9/1||@NYY 9, TB 6||Recap|
|Sun 9/2||TB 8, @NYY 2||Recap|
|Tue 9/25||@TB 7, NYY 6||Recap|
|Wed 9/26||NYY 12, @TB 4||Recap|
|Thu 9/27||NYY 3, @TB 1||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Yankees | Devil Rays|
|2nd||H Matsui homered to right.||1||0|
|TB||4th||D Young grounded out to third, C Crawford scored, T Wigginton to second.||1||1|
|TB||4th||C Pena singled to left, T Wigginton scored, C Pena to second advancing on throw.||1||2|
|7th||J Posada doubled to deep center, H Matsui scored.||2||2|
|7th||J Phelps singled to center, J Posada scored.||3||2|
|TB||7th||C Crawford homered to right, D Navarro, B Upton and R Baldelli scored.||3||6|
|8th||H Matsui singled to right, B Abreu scored.||4||6|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, FL|
|Attendance||22,328 (65.5% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Greg Gibson, First Base - Tony Randazzo, Second Base - Charlie Reliford, Third Base - Larry Vanover|