7:05 PM ET, April 25, 2007
Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore, Maryland
• Summary: Curt Schilling pitched seven strong innings, and the Red Sox took advantage of Baltimore's bullpen late, scoring three runs in the seventh and two in the ninth for a 6-1 victory.
• Turning point: Orioles starter Daniel Cabrera (1-2) left with two on and two outs in the seventh and the score 1-1, but Jamie Walker and Chad Bradford couldn't get out of the inning before giving up three runs.
• Hero: David Ortiz's opposite-field single on a full count drove in the go-ahead run for the Red Sox.
• Figure this: Before Wednesday night, Walker and Bradford had given up two runs in 17 1/3 innings.
• Elias Says: Ortiz drove in the winning run with a seventh-inning single. It was Ortiz's 27th game-winner in Late-Inning Pressure Situations since he joined the Red Sox in 2003, and it broke a tie with Albert Pujols for the highest total in the majors during that time -- albeit briefly. Before the night was over, Pujols tied Ortiz with an eighth-inning game-winning double in the Cardinals' 5-2 victory over the Reds.
-- ESPN.com news services
Red Sox 6, Orioles 1
Sgt. Mark Ecker II, who lost parts of both his legs while serving in the war in Iraq, threw out the ceremonial first pitch. Players from both teams stood and cheered during his introduction. ... Orioles 3B Melvin Mora was omitted from the starting lineup for the first time this season, in part because he's 3-for-25 lifetime against Schilling. ... Schilling is 4-0 in his last five starts against Baltimore.
Regular Season Series
|Boston leads 12-6 (as of Wed 4/25)|
|» Wed 4/25||BOS 6, @BAL 1||Box Score|
|Thu 4/26||BOS 5, @BAL 2||Recap|
|Fri 5/11||BAL 6, @BOS 3||Recap|
|Sat 5/12||@BOS 13, BAL 4||Recap|
|Sun 5/13||@BOS 6, BAL 5||Recap|
|Tue 7/31||BAL 5, @BOS 3||Recap|
|Wed 8/1||@BOS 5, BAL 4||Recap|
|Thu 8/2||@BOS 7, BAL 4||Recap|
|Fri 8/10||@BAL 6, BOS 5||Recap|
|Sat 8/11||BOS 6, @BAL 2||Recap|
|Sun 8/12||@BAL 6, BOS 3||Recap|
|Fri 8/31||BAL 9, @BOS 8||Recap|
|Sat 9/1||@BOS 10, BAL 0||Recap|
|Sun 9/2||@BOS 3, BAL 2||Recap|
|Thu 9/6||BOS 7, @BAL 6||Recap|
|Fri 9/7||BOS 4, @BAL 0||Recap|
|Sat 9/8||@BAL 11, BOS 5||Recap|
|Sun 9/9||BOS 3, @BAL 2||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Red Sox | Orioles|
|3rd||A Cora homered to right.||1||0|
|6th||M Tejada homered to left.||1||1|
|7th||D Ortiz singled to left center, W Pena scored, K Youkilis to third.||2||1|
|7th||M Ramirez singled to right center, K Youkilis scored, D Ortiz to third.||3||1|
|7th||M Lowell walked, D Ortiz scored, M Ramirez to third, J Drew to second.||4||1|
|9th||M Ramirez hit sacrifice fly to center, K Youkilis scored.||5||1|
|9th||M Lowell singled to shallow left, D Ortiz scored, J Drew to second.||6||1|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore, MD|
|Attendance||27,613 (60.1% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||72 degrees, cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Angel Hernandez, First Base - Ted Barrett, Second Base - Mark Carlson, Third Base - Larry Young|