7:05 PM ET, April 27, 2007
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York
• Summary: Daisuke Matsuzaka gutted his way through six innings and Boston blew it open with a four-run ninth to hand New York its seventh straight loss. The Red Sox improved to 4-0 against their hated rival this season.
• Hero: Julio Lugo, who homered off Scott Proctor for a two-run lead in the sixth. He had three hits and three RBIs.
• Goat: Andy Pettitte, who ran New York starters' long string of failing to pitch five innings, took the loss. He gave back all of a two-run lead (and then some) in the fifth inning.
• Figure this: New York has lost seven straight games for the first time since the last week of the 2000 season.
• Quotable: "He won't say anything tonight. We'll see if he has anything to say tomorrow," -- Spokesman Howard Rubenstein, on whether Yanks' owner George Steinbrenner plans to react to the slide.
• Elias Says: It's the first time since 1933 that the Yanks have ceded six or more runs in each of eight straight games. That Ruth-and-Gehrig 1933 team had a pitching staff that included three future Hall-of-Famers: Lefty Gomez, Herb Pennock and Red Ruffing.
Red Sox 11, Yankees 4
Boston LHP Jon Lester allowed three walks in five shutout innings for Triple-A Pawtucket against Buffalo in what was expected to be his second-to-last rehab outing before he returns to the Boston rotation. Coming back from chemotherapy to treat cancer of the lymph system, Lester was 0-0 with a 2.98 ERA in three appearances with Class-A Greenville. ... Bobby Abreu was 0-for-5 with two strikeouts and a double-play grounder and is in a 1-for-23 slide. ... Giambi will start at 1B on Saturday against Tim Wakefield.
Regular Season Series
|New York leads 10-8 (as of Fri 4/27)|
|Fri 4/20||@BOS 7, NYY 6||Recap|
|Sat 4/21||@BOS 7, NYY 5||Recap|
|Sun 4/22||@BOS 7, NYY 6||Recap|
|» Fri 4/27||BOS 11, @NYY 4||Box Score|
|Sat 4/28||@NYY 3, BOS 1||Recap|
|Sun 4/29||BOS 7, @NYY 4||Recap|
|Mon 5/21||@NYY 6, BOS 2||Recap|
|Tue 5/22||BOS 7, @NYY 3||Recap|
|Wed 5/23||@NYY 8, BOS 3||Recap|
|Fri 6/1||NYY 9, @BOS 5||Recap|
|Sat 6/2||@BOS 11, NYY 6||Recap|
|Sun 6/3||NYY 6, @BOS 5||Recap|
|Tue 8/28||@NYY 5, BOS 3||Recap|
|Wed 8/29||@NYY 4, BOS 3||Recap|
|Thu 8/30||@NYY 5, BOS 0||Recap|
|Fri 9/14||NYY 8, @BOS 7||Recap|
|Sat 9/15||@BOS 10, NYY 1||Recap|
|Sun 9/16||NYY 4, @BOS 3||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Red Sox | Yankees|
|3rd||K Youkilis homered to left, J Lugo scored.||2||0|
|4th||J Posada singled to left, A Rodriguez scored, J Giambi to third, H Matsui to second.||2||1|
|4th||J Damon singled to right, J Giambi and H Matsui scored, J Posada to third.||2||3|
|4th||D Jeter singled to right, J Posada scored, J Damon to second, J Damon to third on error by right fielder J Drew.||2||4|
|5th||D Ortiz singled to center, J Lugo scored, K Youkilis to second.||3||4|
|5th||M Lowell walked, K Youkilis scored, D Ortiz to third, M Ramirez to second.||4||4|
|5th||D Ortiz scored, M Ramirez to third, M Lowell to second on wild pitch by A Pettitte.||5||4|
|6th||J Lugo homered to left.||6||4|
|8th||J Lugo doubled to left, D Pedroia scored.||7||4|
|9th||C Crisp singled to center, M Lowell scored, J Varitek to third.||8||4|
|9th||J Lugo walked, J Varitek scored, C Crisp to third, D Pedroia to second.||9||4|
|9th||K Youkilis grounded out to second, C Crisp scored, D Pedroia to third, J Lugo to second.||10||4|
|9th||D Ortiz singled to left center, D Pedroia scored, J Lugo to third.||11||4|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY|
|Attendance||55,005 (111.8% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||54 degrees, cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Brian Runge, First Base - Bruce Froemming, Second Base - Rob Drake, Third Base - Mike Winters|