1:05 PM ET, May 10, 2007
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, New York
• Summary: The Rangers outplayed the Yankees, scoring 14 runs -- the second-most scored by the Rangers in Yankee Stadium, behind a 16-5 victory in 1998 -- to avoid a sweep.
• Turning Point: With the score 1-1 in the fifth, Alex Rodriguez, trapping Gerald Laird in a rundown, faked a throw and then ran after Laird. Laird outraced A-Rod and dived home for a 2-1 lead.
• Heroes: Sammy Sosa, who had three singles and two RBIs. Mark Teixeira was 4-for-5 with three RBIs and a career-high three doubles. Victor Diaz put the nail in the coffin with a pinch-hit grand slam in the eighth inning.
• Unsung hero: Rangers closer Eric Gagne pitched a perfect ninth, his first action since straining a hip April 22.
• Figure this: New York's Melky Cabrera hit a homer in the third to tie it 1-1. Cabrera had gone 266 at-bats without a home run since last Aug. 10, when he connected off Brandon McCarthy, then with the Chicago White Sox.
• Elias Says: Prior to Diaz, the last two players with a pinch-hit slam at Yankee Stadium were Jorge Posada in 2001 and Detroit's Mickey Tettleton in 1991.-- ESPN.com news services
Rangers 12, Yankees 2
Rangers closer Eric Gagne pitched a perfect ninth, his first action since straining a hip on April 22. ... Sosa had three hits, including a two-out RBI single in the first. ... Diaz had the fifth pinch-hit slam in Texas history and first since Hank Blalock on July 4, 2004, at Houston. ... New York DH Jason Giambi missed his second straight game because of a spur near his left heel. He saw a doctor, who relieved the pain with a new method of taping the foot. Giambi plans to play Friday. ... New York CF Johnny Damon left in the eighth after his right calf cramped again. ... Texas SS Michael Young didn't play after leaving Wednesday night's game in the fifth inning because of tightness in his right hamstring. He had appeared in 287 consecutive games since June 22, 2005, when he missed a game for the birth of his son.
Regular Season Series
|1st||S Sosa singled to left, K Lofton scored.||1||0|
|3rd||M Cabrera homered to right.||1||1|
|5th||B Wilkerson grounded into fielder's choice to third, G Laird scored, B Wilkerson to second.||2||1|
|5th||M Teixeira singled to right, B Wilkerson scored, M Teixeira to second advancing on throw.||3||1|
|5th||S Sosa singled to right, M Teixeira scored.||4||1|
|7th||B Wilkerson hit sacrifice fly to left, G Laird scored.||5||1|
|7th||M Teixeira doubled to deep center, K Lofton scored.||6||1|
|7th||H Blalock doubled to right, M Teixeira scored.||7||1|
|7th||J Damon safe at first on error by second baseman I Kinsler, D Mientkiewicz scored.||7||2|
|8th||J Hairston singled to center, M Kata scored, N Cruz to second.||8||2|
|8th||B Wilkerson singled to center, N Cruz scored, J Hairston to third.||9||2|
|8th||M Teixeira hit a ground rule double to deep left, J Hairston scored, B Wilkerson to third.||10||2|
|8th||V Diaz homered to right, B Wilkerson, M Teixeira and S Sosa scored.||14||2|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY|
|Attendance||52,147 (106% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||78 degrees, cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Lance Barksdale, First Base - Jim Reynolds, Second Base - Chris Guccione, Third Base - Gary Cederstrom|