12:35 PM ET, May 10, 2007
Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati, Ohio
• Summary: Ken Griffey Jr. continued his torrid home run pace of late, hitting his 569th career homer. Griffey has hit four of his six home runs this season in his last eight games.
• Unsung hero: Reds pitcher Aaron Harang went 6 2/3 innings allowing five runs on nine hits and struck out five. He is 8-1 in his last 11 starts.
• Figure this: Cincinnati snapped a five-game losing streak to Houston, winning for second time in its last 10 games against the Astros.
• Figure this II: The loss snapped Houston's three-game road win streak as well as a three-game overall win streak. Additionally, the Astros have lost nine of their last 13 road games.
• Quotable: "I wouldn't recommend it as a way to learn patience, but when you break your hand, you don't want to be swinging at too many pitches early. It hurt the first three weeks of spring training. Look at how I took batting practice. The first couple of times, I didn't swing at very many balls." -- Ken Griffey Jr., on how his hand injury has helped him.
• Elias Says: Adam Dunn had a double, triple and homer for Cincinnati, becoming the first Reds player in 13 years to fall a single short of a cycle; Reggie Sanders did that against the Marlins on April 24, 1994.-- ESPN.com news services
Reds 9, Astros 5
The Astros are 7-2 overall against the Reds this season. ... Berkman went 6-for-14 during the series with three homers. ... Burke's homer was his 200th career hit and his first homer since Sept. 12 at St. Louis. ... Dunn has two triples this season, matching his career high. ... 2B Brandon Phillips extended his hitting streak to a career-high 13 games.
Regular Season Series
|Houston leads 11-4 (as of Thu 5/10)|
|Wed 4/18||HOU 7, @CIN 2||Recap|
|Thu 4/19||HOU 8, @CIN 6||Recap|
|Tue 5/1||CIN 11, @HOU 2||Recap|
|Wed 5/2||@HOU 3, CIN 1||Recap|
|Thu 5/3||@HOU 7, CIN 5||Recap|
|Mon 5/7||HOU 5, @CIN 4||Recap|
|Tue 5/8||HOU 7, @CIN 6||Recap|
|Wed 5/9||HOU 3, @CIN 2||Recap|
|» Thu 5/10||@CIN 9, HOU 5||Box Score|
|Tue 5/29||CIN 2, @HOU 1||Recap|
|Wed 5/30||CIN 4, @HOU 3||Recap|
|Thu 5/31||@HOU 10, CIN 2||Recap|
|Tue 9/25||HOU 8, @CIN 5||Recap|
|Wed 9/26||HOU 7, @CIN 6||Recap|
|Thu 9/27||HOU 4, @CIN 3||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Astros | Reds|
|1st||K Griffey Jr hit sacrifice fly to center, R Freel scored.||0||1|
|1st||A Dunn homered to center, S Hatteberg and B Phillips scored.||0||4|
|2nd||K Griffey Jr homered to right, R Freel scored.||0||6|
|3rd||J Hamilton hit sacrifice fly to center, A Dunn scored.||0||7|
|4th||C Burke homered to left center, L Berkman and M Lamb scored.||3||7|
|5th||C Lee singled to center, M Loretta scored, L Berkman to second.||4||7|
|5th||L Scott singled to right, L Berkman scored, C Lee thrown out at third.||5||7|
|5th||D Ross homered to center, A Dunn scored.||5||9|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati, OH|
|Attendance||25,796 (61% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||78 degrees, partly cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Tim Timmons, First Base - Rick Reed, Second Base - Chuck Meriwether, Third Base - Alfonso Marquez|