1:10 PM ET, May 12, 2007
Shea Stadium, Flushing, New York
• Summary: The Brewers used a five-run eighth inning to swing back into the win column after the Mets snatched the Brewers' six-game win streak from them in the opener of this three-game series.
• Turning point: Tony Gwynn Jr. kicked off the Brewers' eighth-inning onslaught with a bases-loaded RBI single for his third hit of the game. J.J. Hardy added more punch with his second career grand slam to put the Brewers comfortably ahead 9-3.
• Figure this: Hardy's grand slam was his third homer in four games.
• Quotable: "It's a big win, but not necessarily because it's against the Mets. It's very early." -- Tony Gwynn Jr.
• Elias Says: Hardy's slam gave him a share of the NL's home-run lead. You have to go back to 1986 to find the last time that a shortstop had at least a share of the league's home-run lead this late in a season. Hubie Brooks, then a shortstop with the Expos, had a piece of the lead as late as June 8 of that year.-- ESPN.com news services
Brewers 12, Mets 3
It was Newhan's second career pinch-hit homer. The other came on June 18, 2004, with Baltimore at Colorado. ... Hardy's other grand slam was Sept. 7, 2005, at Cincinnati.
Regular Season Series
|1st||B Hall singled to center, T Gwynn scored, P Fielder to second.||1||0|
|3rd||J Estrada singled to center, P Fielder scored.||2||0|
|4th||P Fielder hit sacrifice fly to second, C Counsell and T Gwynn scored, J Hardy out at second.||4||0|
|5th||S Green scored, P Lo Duca to second on wild pitch by B Sheets.||4||1|
|5th||D Newhan homered to right, P Lo Duca scored.||4||3|
|8th||T Gwynn singled to right, T Graffanino scored, C Counsell to third, G Gross to second.||5||3|
|8th||J Hardy homered to left, C Counsell, G Gross and T Gwynn scored.||9||3|
|9th||C Hart tripled to deep right, T Graffanino and C Counsell scored.||11||3|
|9th||J Hardy hit sacrifice fly to left, C Hart scored.||12||3|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Shea Stadium, Flushing, NY|
|Attendance||50,193 (119.7% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||73 degrees, cloudy|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Phil Cuzzi, First Base - James Hoye, Second Base - Jerry Crawford, Third Base - Brian Onora|