7:05 PM ET, May 18, 2007
Comerica Park, Detroit, Michigan
• Summary: Andrew Miller pitched six scoreless innings in his first major-league start and the Tigers scored nine runs in the fifth inning of a 14-4 victory over the Cardinals.
• Goat: Braden Looper gave up a career-high seven runs and nine hits over four-plus innings. He allowed only a run in his two previous starts and entered the game among NL leaders with a 2.29 ERA.
• Figure this pt. 1: The Tigers set season highs for runs, runs in an inning and hits (18). In one game, they surpassed the 11 total runs they scored in the 2006 World Series.
• Figure this pt. 2: Kelvin Jimenez, who relieved Looper, got only one out and allowed seven runs, five hits and two walks.
• Quotable pt. 1: "That's just one of those freak games. You can't get excited when you have a freak game like this." -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland
• Quotable pt. 2: "It's tough to think about last year right now. It's been a difficult year with what happened off the field and because of how we've played on the field." -- Cardinals shortstop David Eckstein
-- ESPN.com news services
Tigers 14, Cardinals 4
Miller became the first Detroit pitcher to win his first major-league start since Andy Van Hekken in 2002. ... The Tigers hope left-hander Mike Maroth, who was scratched from his start Thursday because of an illness and was still sick on Friday, will make his next start Tuesday. ... St. Louis activated right-hander Todd Wellemeyer, claimed off waivers Tuesday from Kansas City, and sent right-hander Brian Falkenborg outright to Triple-A Memphis. ... To make room for Miller, right-hander Zach Miner was optioned to Triple-A Toledo after he gave up two runs -- one earned -- in 5 1/3 innings in a 2-1 loss at Boston on Thursday. ... The game drew a sellout crowd of 40,816.
Regular Season Series
|1st||G Sheffield homered to left, P Polanco scored.||0||2|
|3rd||M Ordonez homered to right.||0||3|
|4th||C Granderson hit sacrifice fly to center, S Casey scored.||0||4|
|4th||P Polanco doubled to deep left, C Monroe scored.||0||5|
|5th||S Casey singled to right, M Ordonez and C Guillen scored, I Rodriguez to third.||0||7|
|5th||C Granderson singled to shallow right, S Casey and C Monroe scored, B Inge to second.||0||9|
|5th||P Polanco doubled to deep left, B Inge and C Granderson scored.||0||11|
|5th||G Sheffield singled to left, P Polanco scored.||0||12|
|5th||I Rodriguez doubled to deep right, G Sheffield and M Ordonez scored.||0||14|
|7th||C Duncan doubled to deep left, S Taguchi scored.||1||14|
|7th||A Pujols singled to center, C Duncan scored, A Pujols to second advancing on throw.||2||14|
|8th||D Eckstein singled to left, G Bennett scored.||3||14|
|9th||A Pujols homered to right.||4||14|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Comerica Park, Detroit, MI|
|Attendance||40,816 (98.9% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||63 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Gary Cederstrom, First Base - Lance Barksdale, Second Base - Troy Fullwood, Third Base - Jim Reynolds|