7:35 PM ET, May 19, 2007
Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts
• Summary: Kelly Johnson went 3-for-6 with five RBIs and fell a single short of hitting for the cycle. Brian McCann was also 3-for-6 and hit three doubles as 10 of the 11 players who had at-bats recorded a hit for the Braves.
• Creeping up on 200: John Smoltz pitched allowed three hits in seven scoreless innings while striking out seven. Smoltz got his 199th career win and moved into 17th place on the all-time strikeout list with 2,833.
• Figure this: Smoltz won for the first time since turning 40 years old last Tuesday and remained unscored upon in all 20 2/3 innings he's pitched at Fenway Park.
• Figure this II: The Braves lost the first game of the double-header 13-3. It marked the first time since 1978 that two teams split a double-header with each team winning by at least 10 runs.
• Quotable: "That was probably the weirdest doubleheader I've ever been a part of. I think we got them overall. What was it, 27-13?" -- Johnson
• Elias Says: John Smoltz pitched seven shutout innings for his 199th career win. He has not allowed an earned run in 20.2 career innings in Boston. The last pitcher that did not allow an earned run in his first 20-or-more innings at Fenway Park was Kansas City's Steve Busby (21 innings, from 1974 to 1975).
-- ESPN.com news services
Braves 14, Red Sox 0
The doubleheader was caused by Friday night's rainout. ... Lowell's grand slam was the second by Boston this season. Pena hit one on April 26 to give Boston a 5-2 win six innings. ... Boston planned to return Hansack to Pawtucket and call up Kason Gabbard to pitch Sunday against Tim Hudson.
Regular Season Series
|1st||C Jones homered to left center.||1||0|
|2nd||M Diaz doubled to left, S Thorman scored.||2||0|
|4th||M Diaz homered to left.||3||0|
|5th||J Francoeur doubled to left, B McCann scored.||5||0|
|5th||S Thorman grounded out to second, J Francoeur scored.||6||0|
|6th||K Johnson homered to right, W Harris scored.||8||0|
|7th||J Saltalamacchia doubled to right, J Francoeur scored, M Diaz to third.||9||0|
|7th||K Johnson tripled to deep center, M Diaz and J Saltalamacchia scored.||11||0|
|9th||P Orr reached on infield single to first, W Harris to third, C Woodward to second, W Harris scored, C Woodward to third on throwing error by first baseman A Cora.||12||0|
|9th||B McCann doubled to deep center, C Woodward and P Orr scored.||14||0|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Fenway Park, Boston, MA|
|Attendance||36,792 (99.2% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||53 degrees, drizzle|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Jeff Kellogg, First Base - Scott Barry, Second Base - Eric Cooper, Third Base - Mike Reilly|