7:05 PM ET, May 21, 2007
Progressive Field, Cleveland, Ohio
• Summary: A solo homer by Casey Blake and a two-run double from Josh Barfield earned the Indians a 5-2 win over the Mariners.
• Milestone: Indians starter C.C. Sabathia whiffed Ichiro Suzuki in the fifth to pick up his 1,000th career strikeout.
• Home sweet home: Cleveland improved to an MLB-best 17-4 at home, with two of those wins coming in Milwaukee when the team had to relocate a three-game series due to bad weather.
• Getting on: Ichiro extended his hit streak to 14 games.
• Hit the road: Seattle started its 6,273-mile, four-city trip with its fifth loss in six games.
-- ESPN.com news services
Indians 5, Mariners 2
Paul Byrd was one strike away from beating the Mariners on April 6 when Hargrove came out of the dugout to argue that the snow was falling too hard to see. The move led to him getting heckled from Indians fans. "In 10 minutes, I went from being liked in Cleveland to being hated," said Hargrove, who managed the Indians from 1992-99. "I did what I thought I had to do." ... Sexson snapped an 0-for-16 slide with a third-inning single. ... Suzuki extended his hitting streak to 14 games. ... The Indians have won 10 of 11 at home.
Regular Season Series
|Cleveland leads 5-3 (as of Mon 5/21)|
|» Mon 5/21||@CLE 5, SEA 2||Box Score|
|Mon 6/11||SEA 8, @CLE 7||Recap|
|Thu 8/30||@CLE 6, SEA 5||Recap|
|Tue 9/25||CLE 4, @SEA 3||Recap|
|Wed 9/26||@CLE 12, SEA 4|
|Wed 9/26||@SEA 3, CLE 2||Recap|
|Thu 9/27||@SEA 4, CLE 2||Recap|
|Complete Schedule: Mariners | Indians|
|1st||V Martinez singled to right, G Sizemore scored.||0||1|
|4th||J Lopez singled to left, K Johjima scored.||1||1|
|6th||C Blake homered to left center.||1||2|
|7th||J Barfield doubled to deep left, T Nixon and J Peralta scored, D Dellucci to third.||1||4|
|7th||G Sizemore hit sacrifice fly to center, D Dellucci scored.||1||5|
|9th||I Suzuki grounded into fielder's choice to third, Y Betancourt scored, B Broussard out at second, J Lopez to third.||2||5|
|View complete Play-By-Play|
|Stadium||Progressive Field, Cleveland, OH|
|Attendance||38,645 (91.5% full) - % is based on regular season capacity|
|Weather||58 degrees, clear|
|Umpires||Home Plate - Bruce Dreckman, First Base - Rob Drake, Second Base - Gary Darling, Third Base - Larry Poncino|